Saturday 23 October 2010

Lazy Days Cafe, Ogmore St, Abergavenny

Visited on a very rainy Saturday afternoon. I can honestly say it was a unique experience. You be the judge of if that is a good thing or not!

We went in, found a table, Hubs and I, two children. Sat down, interrupted by a staff member leaning over to snatch a spray bottle of cleaning fluid off the table. She returned a few minutes later and proceeded to clean the table. It would seem we interrupted her cleaning as she was busy on another task maybe?

Looked at menu, given about 5 minutes before we were approached by a young man, who took our order. Must be a clever chap as no pad, he memorised the whole order and got it right!. Had to change my order when we realised that the meal I wanted (burger) was cooked on the same grill as mushrooms, to which I am highly allergic. Instead ordered curry and chips.

Food arrived quickly, about ten minutes, considering that the cafe was extremely busy, this was quite exceptional.

The food ... hmmm well this is where the true uniqueness of the place enters the equation. The childrens meals were great (@ £3.90 for two sausages and a scoop of chips, plus drink)

Hubs meal, was erm unusual. Bacon that tasted not of bacon but fried onions, 'hand cut chips' which were simply a potato cut in four or in some cases half, and fried. They closely resembled roast potatos!

Mine was simply strips of chicken in a curry sauce, no onions, fruit, and little flavour. Again the meal was accompanied by 'hand cut chips' which were ... unique!! I also found a lump of cremated bacon nestling in the chips... good thing I am not a veggie lol.

Overall, service was absolutely top notch. Polite, friendly and fast. (Highly amusing that the staff were sporting t shirts advertising a scaffolding firm). Food was not to my taste, or hubs for that matter. However they do seem to be to a lot of other peoples taste as they were very very busy. If I were to return, I would have to be sure that the items on the grill/hotplate were cooked and stored seperately to each other. Not only for people like myself who suffer allergies, but also vegetarians.

Sad because I would want to go back for the service alone!! Top Staff and obviously happy in their jobs, which is refreshing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment